At Norbridge Academy our children are proud to be student councillors. Every one of our school councillors are 'Norbridge Champions' and are dedicated to trying their best to make Norbridge the best it can be.
All children from each class are given the opportunity to prepare a speech to explain why they would be an excellent student representative. They perform their speech to their class who then cast their vote on who they think would be the best Norbridge Champion. Each class have two student councillors who will then attend meetings through the year to represent their class and be the student voice for the school.
Looking after our environment
In our last meeting, we discussed how we could help our school to become more environmentally friendly. We decided that one way we could help was to encourage our friends to always put litter in the bin and to take it in turns to do litter picking during break times. All classes in our school have now picked Eco Warriors and the student councillors are excited to work along side the Eco Warriors to make our school more environmentally friendly.
Being a caring, helpful friend
In our last meeting, our student councillors had a think about ways we could make our school even better. The children agreed that the most important thing at school is that everyone is happy and has a friend to play with. So they decided that they would start wearing orange bibs at break time and lunch time to make themselves more visible. This meant that if anyone needed help or a friend at lunch time then they could easily spot a student councillor and ask them for help.
What a lovely, thoughtful idea!
Say hello to this year's student councillors!
Investors in Pupils
This year, the Student Councillors are working together to gain the reaccreditation of 'Investors in Pupils' award.
Investors in Pupils is a central point of our practice at Norbridge Academy: it helps pupils to develop behaviour for learning and to understand the importance of aspects of school but also to provide the pupils with ownership of things which happen in school.
What is it?
Investors in Pupils is a charter mark which nationally recognises the efforts and contributions made by school.
It empowers the pupils, increases the motivation and helps to increase attainment and progress.
Investors in Pupils at Norbridge Academy:
- Pupils begin to understand how schools work.
- Pupils will become involved with their own education.
- Pupils will begin to take responsibility for all aspects of their school life.
- All supporting adults are involved in the process.
- 'Investors in Pupils' builds on best practice which already exists in schools.
- Additionally, 'Investors in Pupils' provides evidence for Every Child Matters and Ofsted requirements.
What do we do at Norbridge Academy?
1) Each class has a mission statement to say what they want their class to be like.
2) Each class has a handbook which helps to introduce and welcome the new pupils/staff to school.
3) Each class has a class target.
4) Each child has individual targets.
5) Attendance targets and rewards.
6) 'Investors in Pupils' Reps and Student Council to help share pupil voice.
7) Weekly 'Investors in Pupils' meetings.