This week in Science we have been learning about different Scientists and what they investigate. First, we looked at scientists that introduce new plants to our gardens. We found out that plants need air, light, water, nutrients from soil and room to grow in order to stay alive. We also researched how plants are transported. Next, we went on a plant hunt outside to discover what different plants were in the school garden. Finally, we designed our own plant and discussed what special powers it could have.
In History, we have been learning about how the Normans came to rule Britain in 1066. We then researched William the Conqueror’s messenger, Stephen Ingram. We thought of some questions we could ask him to find out more information about William the Conqueror. We then discussed how we could help promote happier communities. We decided we would organise a community party to bring everyone together.
This week in Geography we had a discussion about the different ways you could get to a destination. We spoke about using maps, compasses and a satnav. We then discussed the differences between a town and a city. We found out that Worksop has a population of 44,970 and Sheffield has a population of 518,090. We then located cities on a map and directed each other using the words: north, south, east and west.
In art we have been using tiny lines and sketches to make up a drawing. We then used this skill to create a badge that represented one of the houses in Harry Potter. We then looked at the picture of Hogwarts at night. We discussed the different shapes in the picture and how these were used to make up the building. Finally, we followed instructions to create our own drawing of Hogwarts. Why not have a go?
1. Draw the outline of Hogwarts onto black paper using pencil. Think about the shapes that you can see.
2. Create the sky. Use blue, white, yellow, pink/purple and black chalk. Remember to leave a space for the moon, and to leave lots of black in the sky- it looks better like this! Use your fingers to blend the colours into one another. You could put lightning in too.
3. Add in the moon. Use white chalk. You could add a bit of yellow or blue as well. Only smudge it a bit.
4. Add in the lighter parts on the buildings. Use white and yellow, and blend the colours in. Remember, you want to leave a lot of the building black.
5. Finally, add in the windows. They are white and yellow. Don’t smudge them- you want them to really stand out.