At Norbridge Academy, children learn French as their second language. Why?
- French is the fifth most spoken language in the world.
- The British Council estimate that 100-200 million people around the world speak French as a second language.
- French is, along with English, the only language spoken on all five continents.
- French can be used as a 'gateway' to learn other languages; it has many similarities to Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
- The vast range of countries that speak French makes an understanding of the language very useful for those who want to travel and experience such countries.
- Many aspects of French culture have become world-renowned and famous i.e. Claude Monet.
We teach French to all our children to broaden their future employment opportunities and to increase their multicultural knowledge.
Children in Year 3 to Year 6 also have the opportunity to visit France on a residential.
Please find our progression maps for French below: