Autumn Term - Best of Britain
During this term, children will be learning all about Britain and its history, from Worksop and the local area, to our capital city of London and the other UK countries.
Find out what we'll be learning about in each subject area...
History: We will cover a range of historical topics related to the local area and Britain including:
- The history of our school
- Worksop's mining history
- Robin Hood and Sherwood Forest
- Nottinghamshire castle
- The Great Fire of London
- The Gunpowder plot
- Remembrance Day
Geography: Children will learn about a range of Geography topics related to our local area and Britain including:
- Features of the classroom and playground from a plan view.
- Following a route from home/to a familiar place.
- Locating and naming the 4 countries on a map.
- Finding and naming capital cities of the UK on a map.
- Finding and naming the seas surrounding the UK on a map.
- Autumn Term 1:Seasonal Changes. Children will learn about and observe the changes across 4 seasons, describe the weather associated with the seasons and the changes in day length. They will experiment by recording the weather over time.
- Autumn Term 2: Plants. We will learn how to identify and name a variety of common plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees. Children will also learn the basic structure of flowers and trees.
Art: In Art, children will be developing their basic skills in mixing, printing and sketching. They will also look at work from a variety of famous artists, learning from their style and techniques.
Design and Technology: This term, children will be developing their understanding and skills in food technology and nutrition, through designing, creating and evaluating their own sandwich. They will begin by learning where our food comes from and evaluating existing sandwiches.
- Autumn Term 1 - Our wonderful world. Children will explore what makes our wold special and learn about different religious creation stories.
- Autumn Term 2 - Why do we give gifts at Christmas? Children will discover why we give presents at this special time of year and how we can give invisible gifts to others.
- Autumn Term 1 - E safety. Children will be learning about how to use technology safely and responsibly, acceptable and unacceptable online behaviour and how to report concerns.
- Autumn Term 2 - Digital Literacy. We will cover basic skills including: switching a computer on and off, logging on and off, saving work, printing, copying and pasting.
Music: Every Monday, children will have a Music lesson with Miss Booth. They will learn how to use their voices expressively, listen carefully to music and how to experiment with sounds using their bodies and instruments.
PE and Karate: Every Wednesday afternoon children will have a PE and Karate lesson.
PE with Mr Scott: Fundamentals and invasion games.
- Developing running skills.
- Developing throwing and catching skills.
- Understanding how to move with confidence.
- Developing using skills in games.
- Developing how to use tactics in games.
- Understanding how to follow game rules.
Karate with Sensei Dave:
- Oizuki (Lunge punch)
- Gyakuzuki (Reverse Punch)
- Sokuto Hiza (Thrusting side kick to the knee)
- Maegeri Tobikomizuki (Front snap kick, front snap punch)
- Maegeri Gyakuzuki (Front snap kick, reverse punch).
Gymnastics with Mrs Spencer:
- Learning rules of Gymnastics
- Understanding how to move safely on mats
- Beginning to use different apparatus
- Developing rolls and cartwheels
- Developing a range of jumps
- Learning Gymnastics shapes
French with Madame Walsh:
- Learning the days of the week
- Recapping colours
- Learning about the weather
- Discussing the seasons
- Answering questions
- Developing confidence in speaking in French
- Exploring stories in French
- Singing French songs
- Developing listening skills
Venture Experts: Every Tuesday afternoon, children will take part in their chosen enrichment activity, developing a new skill with another member of staff. Choices include: Art, Singing, Musical Theatre, Gymnastics and Circus Skills.