At Norbridge Academy our children are proud to be student councillors. Every one of our school councillors are 'Norbridge Champions' and are dedicated to trying their best to make Norbridge the best it can be. School councillors should also display all aspects embodied in the Norbridge Learning Code.
All children from each class are given the opportunity to prepare a speech to explain why they would be an excellent student representative. They perform their speech to their class who then cast their vote on who they think would be the best Norbridge Champion. Each class have two student councillors who will then attend meetings through the year to represent their class and be the student voice for the school.
UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
Our school council aims to embody and respect aspects of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, in particular;
Article 12 (respect for the views of the child)
Every child has the right to express their views, feelings and wishes in all matters affecting them, and to have their views considered and taken seriously. This right applies at all times, for example during immigration proceedings, housing decisions or the child’s day-to-day home life.
Article 13 (freedom of expression)
Every child must be free to express their thoughts and opinions and to access all kinds of information, as long as it is within the law.
Article 14 (freedom of thought, belief and religion)
Every child has the right to think and believe what they choose and also to practise their religion, as long as they are not stopping other people from enjoying their rights. Governments must respect the rights and responsibilities of parents to guide their child as they grow up.
To view all the rights please follow the link below;
School Council Elections
Meet Our Representatives
Our Student Council Roles
Please check out our twitter https://twitter.com/NorbridgeCounc1
Please take a look at our weekly agendas.
Our Chosen Charity
This year, we will be fundraising for the chosen charity in school: NSPCC.
There will be lots of events taking place throughout the year to support this charity and children within our school community.
School Council Planning
Please see below details of the exciting plans our school council will be part of during the Autumn term.
School Council Autumn 1 Planning
Eco-Schools Recycling Logo Competition
This year, the Student Councillors are working together to gain the reaccreditation of 'Investors in Pupils' award.
Investors in Pupils is a central point of our practice at Norbridge Academy: it helps pupils to develop behaviour for learning and to understand the importance of aspects of school but also to provide the pupils with ownership of things which happen in school.
What is it?
Investors in Pupils is a charter mark which nationally recognises the efforts and contributions made by school.
It empowers the pupils, increases the motivation and helps to increase attainment and progress.
Investors in Pupils at Norbridge Academy:
- Pupils begin to understand how schools work.
- Pupils will become involved with their own education.
- Pupils will begin to take responsibility for all aspects of their school life.
- All supporting adults are involved in the process.
- 'Investors in Pupils' builds on best practice which already exists in schools.
- Additionally, 'Investors in Pupils' provides evidence for Every Child Matters and Ofsted requirements.
What do we do at Norbridge Academy?
1) Each class has a mission statement to say what they want their class to be like.
2) Each class has a handbook which helps to introduce and welcome the new pupils/staff to school.
3) Each class has a class target.
4) Each child has individual targets.
5) Attendance targets and rewards.
6) 'Investors in Pupils' Reps and Student Council to help share pupil voice.
7) Weekly 'Investors in Pupils' meetings.