At Norbridge Academy our children are proud to be student councillors. Every one of our school councillors are 'Norbridge Champions' and are dedicated to trying their best to make Norbridge the best it can be.
All children from each class are given the opportunity to prepare a speech to explain why they would be an excellent student representative. They perform their speech to their class who then cast their vote on who they think would be the best Norbridge Champion. Each class have two student councillors who will then attend meetings through the year to represent their class and be the student voice for the school.
Meet Our Representatives
Our Student Council Roles
Children in Year 1 and Year 2 will be eco-warriors. This means that they will look after our school environment and ensure we are being eco-friendly by litter picking and tidying our shared areas around school.
Children in Year 3 will promote our values and will be committed to helping other people. They will help with break duties and will join in with games with other children.
Our community champions are children from Year 4, 5 and 6. They will be running our Sidings Cafe and welcoming people into our school from the local community.
Our Chosen Charities
This year, we will be fundraising for two charities: Cancer Research UK and Barnardo's. There will be lots of events taking place throughout the year to support these charities, including the Sidings Café, discos and sponsored events.
This year, the Student Councillors are working together to gain the reaccreditation of 'Investors in Pupils' award.
Investors in Pupils is a central point of our practice at Norbridge Academy: it helps pupils to develop behaviour for learning and to understand the importance of aspects of school but also to provide the pupils with ownership of things which happen in school.
What is it?
Investors in Pupils is a charter mark which nationally recognises the efforts and contributions made by school.
It empowers the pupils, increases the motivation and helps to increase attainment and progress.
Investors in Pupils at Norbridge Academy:
- Pupils begin to understand how schools work.
- Pupils will become involved with their own education.
- Pupils will begin to take responsibility for all aspects of their school life.
- All supporting adults are involved in the process.
- 'Investors in Pupils' builds on best practice which already exists in schools.
- Additionally, 'Investors in Pupils' provides evidence for Every Child Matters and Ofsted requirements.
What do we do at Norbridge Academy?
1) Each class has a mission statement to say what they want their class to be like.
2) Each class has a handbook which helps to introduce and welcome the new pupils/staff to school.
3) Each class has a class target.
4) Each child has individual targets.
5) Attendance targets and rewards.
6) 'Investors in Pupils' Reps and Student Council to help share pupil voice.
7) Weekly 'Investors in Pupils' meetings.